North-East Against the Death Penalty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Wood

2 posters

Go down

Jeff Wood Empty Jeff Wood

Post  NEADP Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:16 pm

http://www.freewebs.com/savejeffwood/index.htm

NEADP
Admin

Number of posts : 52
View : Anti-Death Penalty
Registration date : 2008-06-17

https://neadp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Jeff Wood Empty Re: Jeff Wood

Post  Jennie Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Please take a look at Jeff Wood's Flyer.

Jeff Wood is a man convicted of the Law of Parties in Texas.

If you can help, please visit Jeff Wood's Website (Above)

Jeff Wood 5062p1

Jeff Wood Fxcp78
Jennie
Jennie
Admin

Number of posts : 552

http://www.freekenneth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 pm

This is like deja vu all over again
The Texas Law of Parties Snares Another Innocent Man

It only feels like only yesterday that people from all parts of the world were fighting to free Kenneth Foster from the deadly net only known to Texas called the "Law of Parties". Kenneth Foster, Jr. (born October 22, 1976) was a prisoner formerly on death row in Texas. He was convicted of murdering Michael LaHood in August 1996. His conviction and execution were contested because he was convicted under a law of parties, not for physically committing the crime. The Governor of Texas, Rick Perry, commuted the death sentence to life imprisonment only three hours before the execution was scheduled to take place on August 30, 2007. Kenneth Foster, Jr. will be eligible for parole in 2037. He is currently located at the Byrd Unit of the Texes Department of Justice to be reprocessed as a general population prisoner.
Though there may be some slight differences in their cases one fact stands out, just as Kenneth Foster, Jeff Wood did not physically commit the crime in question; murder. Jeff Wood having no prior criminal record was convicted and sentenced to die for the Killing a convenience store clerk during a January 1996 robbery in Kerrville, TX under the "Law of Parties". The actual shooter (Jeff Wood's co-defendant) Daniel Earl Reneau was executed on 06/13/2002.
While a law of parties, or criminal responsibility for the conduct of another, is a common legal concept, Texas stands alone in the application of this strangely worded law. No other death penalty state has a statute that is applied as the Texas law of parties is. The Law of Parties was written in 1973 and became effective the following year, since its intent has been expanded by rulings of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals over the years. Since 1982, the U.S. Supreme Court has twice tackled the "law of parties" and its applicability in capital cases, with conflicting results.
The case of Jeff Wood has raised the concerns of hundreds of people in only a matter of weeks after Jeff Woods received an execution at which time his loved ones decided to go public with this injustice. Even citizen's that are clearly proponents of capital punishment believe the execution of Jeff Wood would be an injustice.
At a time when the opinion of the death penalty seems to be shifting it's difficult to comprehend how Texas would even consider executing a man that is clearly not guilty of committing the act of murder. I must stand firm in agreement with the following who strongly believe the execution of Jeff Wood would be an injustice. In this case I truly believe one needs to view the Eighth Amendment to the US Constitution, which protects defendants from cruel and unusual punishment.

The following are names and statements by citizens concerned with the execution of Jeff Wood demand immediate attention.

The cousin of Kris Keeran (the murder victim)

Jun 19, 2008, Amanda Smith, Texas
My cousin was the person killed by Danny, not Jeff. I say this as a family member who realized long ago Jeff had no part in my cousin's murder and he shouldn't be executed. It's insane to kill another person who did not kill Kris. The video showed Jeff took no part in it. Jeff was one of my friends growing up and someone I think deserves a chance. If he didn't kill him, why should we kill Jeff? This is ridiculous.

Jeff Wood's old school teacher, who is also a former class-mate of Rick Perry:

Jun 15, 2008, Phil McAnelly, Texas
I do not condone Jeff's being involved with the person who actually fired the shot, or the situation surrounding it, but the fact is- he did NOT kill the young man. As the Ag Teacher in Devine,Tx, I taught both Jeff and the victim, and cared for both, as I do for all of my students. I do believe in the death penalty, and believe it should be carried out in a judicious manner-but only for the person who is actually involved in the offense. When a drunk driver kills innocent people, sometimes whole families, we rarely sentence him to death, and the other passengers are never even charged with a crime-even though they may have prevented the "accident" from occurring. I have served on the grand jury, and understand a communities desire to protect itself from the criminal element of society, and have voted to bring first degree murder charges against an offender, but I also know that equal protection under the law-in spirit at least- dictates that we hold accountable only those that are actually guilty of the crime.
Rick - as a former classmate at A & M, as co-laborers and acquaintances in the field of Agriculture, I urge you to at least examine the facts of this case, and let your conscience be your guide.

These following comments are from pro-death penalty-people, who are against Jeff Wood being executed:

This is actually a judge in Texas:

Jun 9, 2008, MARION TAYLOR, Texas
I SUPPORT THE DEATH PENALTY IN CASES WHERE IT IS DESERVED. IN CASES WHERE A PARTY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF SOMEONE AND DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE ACTUAL DEATH, THEY CERTAINLY SHOULD BE PUNISHED, BUT NOT GIVEN THE DEATH PENALTY. LIFE IN PRISON, BUT NOT DEATH.
Others

Jun 9, 2008, Jack Kelley, Texas
Yes, I am very much in favor of the death penalty. But this case does not warrant execution. This man was outside of the store in the car, when his partner committed murder inside the store. I researched the case, including Wood's appeal, on official State of Texas websites. I showed it to an excellent attorney who told me that Wood's representation was lacking, and on the merits, this man should not have gotten the death penalty, nor should the death penalty have been upheld on appeal.

Jun 22, 2008, Jo Ellen Fisk, Texas
I am not against the death penalty when it is deserved and appropriate. Jeff's death is not deserved OR appropriate. EXONERATE JEFF!
Jennie
Jennie
Admin

Number of posts : 552

http://www.freekenneth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down