North-East Against the Death Penalty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Wood

Go down

Jeff Wood Empty Jeff Wood

Post  NEADP Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:17 pm

(Note from Jeff's supporters, taken from Jeff' Website!)

In addition to signing the petition, we need as many phone calls, faxes, E-mails, telegrams, postcards, and letters to the Governor and the Board of Pardons and Paroles as we can get!!!

It took over 17,000 contacts to Governor Perry and the Board of Pardons and Paroles (via the aforementioned means of communication) to make a difference for Kenneth Foster (In addition to the agencies that got involved).

Below are some sample letters you can use for ideas. Please write your own personal letter and mail/fax in. (Certified mail is best but all forms of communication are welcomed!) Please mail 1 letter per person...not per household; an innocent man's life is at stake and we need as many as we can get!

you can contact the following people on Jeff's behalf:

Governor Rick Perry
Board of Pardons and Parole.
Again, E-mails, petitions, form-letters, phone calls, telegrams, postcards and personal letters are but a few great ways to contact these government officials about Jeff's case, however the most effective form of communication is a well written personal letter. Letters written correctly will be put into a permanent file whereas E-mails, form letters, and petitions may be discarded.

Please let your “VOICE” be heard! It only takes a few minutes to pen down your thoughts/ideas and to get them sent out to your government officials.

When writing to your government officials, remember to always be courteous and precise. Do not remind them that your tax dollars pay their salary and do not be threatening in anyway! Remember also that LONG letters might not be read as thoroughly as you want them to be so, keep to the points.

For the convenience of the secretary, please state at the beginning what the purpose of the letter is. For example:

RE: Clemency for Jeffrey Wood, 999256

The following samples will demonstrate how to write each of your government officials and the Clemency Board:

To write to the President

Please send your letter certified mail to

President George W. Bush

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

To write to the Governor of Texas

Honorable Governor Richard Perry

The Governor of Texas
PO Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428

or by E-mail @

http://www2.governor.state.tx.us/contact/

***These letters must not be printed and sent in the mail! They are only samples. Please, hand-write a personal letter and follow the instructions posted for mailing.

Sample Letter # 1 for the Governor of Texas

Date______________________

Honorable Governor Richard Perry
The Governor of Texas
PO Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428

RE: Requesting Clemency and pardon for Jeffrey Wood, 999256

Dear Governor Perry,

I am writing to you to let you know just how badly I want my brother Jeffrey Wood to be released from prison. I pray that God provide me with the words necessary to touch your heart and grant my request for clemency and for a pardon.

As I write this, hundreds of thoughts run through my mind. What should I say? How should I say it? How do I make you see the true injustice of it all? I could tell you how Jeff was wrongly convicted under the Law of Parties for the murder of Kris Keeran, I could tell you he did not kill anyone, I could tell you he was not even in the store when the murder took place, and had no way of knowing it would happen, I could tell you that the murder was actually committed in by Daniel Earl Reneau (who was executed in Texas on June 13, 2002 for this crime) I could tell you how Danny, (the actual shooter in the crime) threatened to kill Jeff’s family, starting with his daughter Paige if he informed the police, I could tell you how the Lawyers, the Judge and even Jeff himself made terrible, irreversible mistakes at the trial, I could tell you how Jeff’s case was tried by the media before it reached the court room, I could promise that his release from prison would be more profitable to the state of Texas than his death and/or incarceration, and I could bring hundreds of witnesses from around the world to testify of our love and desire to see Jeff brought back into society; but this would take days to write and compile. Even the short length of this letter might be overlooked for its insignificance, but I set forth my plea as a hidden victim in this case, as a sister who simply does not want to lose her brother.

For 12 years now, I have done what I have been asked to do; which is to sit back and let the system work, because surely the state would not murder an innocent man. Up until this point the system has failed and Jeff, my dearest baby brother, has been given an execution date of August 21, 2008. Governor Perry, you are part of this system. You have the power to make the previous wrongs right. You have the power to save a life.

The death of Kris Keeran was extremely tragic, and I in no way seek to deny the amount of pain and suffering the Keeran family has endured, but Jeff was not a part of the murder of Kris; in fact Kris and Jeff were friends. In no way will any of my family deny Jeff’s part in the crime, but his only crime was robbery. He is not a murderer. He has served 12 years for this crime, and I believe this to be enough. Please punish his actions not Danny’s.

I know that according to the Texas Government Code, Section 508.050 –Report to Governor, it states that you can request to the Pardon and Parole Board a person for pardon, commutation of sentence, reprieve, remission of fine, or forfeiture. I hope and pray that you might be willing to take the political risk involved and commute Jeffrey Wood’s death sentence. I do not expect it or demand it; I simply and deeply plead for you to commute his death sentence and to release him with time served.

Sincerely,

Terri Been (name)
Boys and Girls Club Athletic Director / Teacher (position)

To write to the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole

Texas Board of Pardon and Parole

Attn: Executive Clemency Section

8610 Shoal Creek Blvd

Austin, Texas 78757

Sample letter # 2 for the Governor or the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole

Date:________________

Distinguished Members of the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole

Texas Board of Pardon and Parole

Attn: Executive Clemency Section

8610 Shoal Creek Blvd

Austin, Texas 78757

Re: Requesting Clemency and Pardon for Jeffrey Wood

In the interest of justice, I appeal to you to grant clemency for Jeffrey Wood, who is currently scheduled to be executed on August 21, 2008. He was sentenced to death, through the Law of Parties, in 1996 for the murder of Kris Keeran. This Murder was actually committed in 1996 by Daniel Earl Reneau who was executed in Texas on June 13, 2002.

I am particularly concerned that Jeffrey Wood may be executed despite serious concerns regarding inadequate legal counsel and lack of mitigating evidence presented.

The death of Kris Keeran was extremely tragic, and I in no way seek to deny the amount of pain and suffering the Keeran family has endured. But Wood’s jury issued him a death sentence without hearing any mitigating evidence, even though such evidence was readily available.

The fact that Wood’s jury did not hear this important evidence has not been corrected by the courts, and executive clemency exists to intervene where the courts cannot. I strongly urge you to demonstrate your respect for justice and human life by doing everything in your power to commute the death sentence of Jeffrey Wood. Thank you for your time and attention to this serious matter.

Sincerely
Steven Been
906 Old Georgetown Road
Lampasas, TX 76550-3603

Governor Rick Perry

Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, Texas 78711-2428

Information and Referral Hotline: (800) 843-5789
[for Texas callers]

Citizen's Opinion Hotline: (800) 252-9600
[for Texas callers]

Information and Referral and Opinion Hotline: (512) 463-1782
[for Austin, Texas and out-of-state callers]

Office of the Governor Main Switchboard: (512) 463-2000
[office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST]

Citizen's Assistance Telecommunications Device
If you are using a telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD), call 711 to reach Relay Texas

Office of the Governor Fax: (512) 463-1849
State Insurance Building
1100 San Jacinto
Austin, Texas 78701

Website which contains a link for E-mail:

http://www2.governor.state.tx.us/contact/

Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles
General Counsel's Office
8610 Shoal Creek Boulevard
Austin, Texas 78758

Phone (512) 406-5852
Fax (512) 467-0945